02 NCAC 09K .0208 DIETARY FROZEN DESSERT STANDARDS
(a) Dietary frozen dessert is the food prepared by freezing while stirring a pasteurized mix containing one or more of the following ingredients:
(1) optional dairy ingredients permitted by 21 CFR 135;
(2) safe, suitable stabilizers;
(4) non‑nutritive sweeteners; or
(5) any optional, non-adulterated ingredients.
(b) The finished dietary frozen dessert product shall:
(1) contain less than two percent by weight of milk fat;
(2) contain not less than seven percent by weight of total milk solids;
(3) contain not less than 1.1 pounds nor more than 1.45 pounds of food solids per gallon; and
(4) weigh not less than 4 1/2 pounds per gallon.
(c) Notwithstanding the provisions of Subparagraph (b)(3) of this Rule, if the optional ingredient micro‑crystalline cellulose is used, the quantity of food solids shall not be less than 1.1 pounds per gallon exclusive of the weight of the micro‑crystalline cellulose.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106‑253; 106‑267;
Eff. February 1, 1982;
Readopted Eff. May 1, 2017.