02 NCAC 43L .0327 LIVESTOCK SANITATION AND OFFICIAL VETERINARIAN
(a) All livestock exhibits will be subject to the rules and policies as established by the State Veterinarian.
(b) Premises and Management:
(1) All buildings for the use of animals, including exhibition halls or rings, stables, yards and pens, shall be maintained in a sanitary condition. All such buildings, rings, stables and pens shall be thoroughly cleaned and disinfected prior to the exhibition.
(2) If practical, a quarantine division shall be established. If such quarantine division is not available, the owner of any livestock or poultry showing symptoms of any infectious or communicable disease may be required to immediately remove such livestock or poultry from the exhibition premises.
(3) The animal health laws and rules of North Carolina will be strictly enforced.
(c) The official veterinarian shall perform the following:
(1) Approve the cleaning and disinfection of the premises before the exhibition is opened and before any domestic animals or poultry are allowed admission to the premises;
(2) Inspect all livestock and poultry on the date admitted to the premises and refuse admission to any animal or bird showing symptoms of any infectious or communicable disease;
(3) He shall refuse admission to any livestock not accompanied by proper health certificates when required; provided, he may approve admission if he is satisfied that proper health certificates are being procured or are in transit from the point of origin and provided he is satisfied that such livestock has not been exposed to disease;
(4) He shall inspect all livestock on the exhibition premises at least once daily and shall order the immediate removal or isolation of any animal or bird showing symptoms of any infectious or communicable disease, and shall order and supervise the cleaning and disinfecting of any area from which suspect animals or birds are removed;
(5) At the conclusion of the exhibition, he shall forward a written report to the Board of Agriculture of all violations, if any, of these Rules by an exhibitor of the management, and any other pertinent information relative to the exhibit.
(d) Exhibitors must make all applications for entry, specifying the number of animals or birds for which accommodations are desired, directly to:
Western North Carolina Agricultural Center
1301 Fanning Bridge Road
Fletcher, North Carolina 28732
All applications must be accompanied by the entry fee or other fees required by the special rules of the particular competitive department in which entry is made. The superintendent of the department will make all assignments of space for exhibits.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106-530; 106-6.1;
Eff. June 1, 1994;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. September 23, 2017.