SECTION .0600 - EUTHANASIA BY CARBON MONOXIDE
02 NCAC 52J .0601 CARBON MONOXIDE EQUIPMENT
If carbon monoxide is used for euthanasia in a certified facility, the following requirements shall be met:
(1) Only commercially compressed, bottled gas shall be used;
(2) The gas shall be delivered in a commercially manufactured chamber that allows for the individual separation of animals;
(3) Animals placed inside of the chamber shall be of the same species;
(4) The chamber shall achieve a minimum six percent uniform concentration of carbon monoxide within two minutes of beginning the administration of the gas;
(5) Death shall occur within five minutes of beginning the administration of the gas; and
(6) Animals shall remain in the chamber with carbon monoxide for a minimum of 20 minutes.
History Note: Authority G.S. 19A-24;
Eff. March 23, 2009.