02 NCAC 60B .0202 SUMMONING FIRE FIGHTERS
(a) In emergencies forest rangers and forest law enforcement officers may summon any resident in good health between 18 and 45 years of age inclusive to help control a forest fire. Forest rangers and forest law enforcement officers may also require the use of crawler tractors and other property needed for fire control.
(b) The ranger or law enforcement officer making a verbal summons shall:
(1) explain the legal basis for the verbal summons;
(2) determine that the person being summoned satisfies the requirements of age, residence and physical condition; and
(3) determine that the required property can be used to assist in controlling a forest fire.
(c) Should an individual who meets the legal requirements for summons refuse to serve or refuse the use of property, the ranger or law enforcement officer shall:
(1) explain the legal basis for the verbal summons, and
(2) warn the individual that the department will pursue law enforcement action.
History Note: Authority G.S. 106-22; 106-899; 143B‑10(j);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. November 6, 1980;
Amended Eff. October 1, 1984;
Transferred from 15A NCAC 09C .0204 Eff. May 1, 2012.