For purposes of the rules set forth in this Chapter, the following definitions shall apply:
(a) "Advertising" means the commercial use, by a public utility, of any media, including newspaper, printed matter, bill insert, radio, and television, in order to transmit a message to a substantial number of members of the public or to such public utility's customers.
(b) "Political advertising" means any advertising for the purpose of influencing public opinion with respect to legislative, administrative, or electoral matters, or with respect to any controversial issue of public importance.
(c) "Promotional advertising" means any advertising for the purpose of encouraging any person to select or use the service or additional service of any utility or the selection or installation of any appliance or equipment designed to use such utility's service, where such appliance, equipment, or service would promote or encourage indiscriminate and wasteful consumption of energy contrary to subsection (d)(5) of this rule.
(d) The terms "political advertising" and "promotional advertising" as defined hereinabove do not include:
(1) advertising which informs electric and natural gas consumers how they can conserve energy or can reduce peak demand for energy,
(2) advertising required by law or regulation, including advertising required under part 1 of title II of the National Energy Conservation Policy Act,
(3) advertising regarding service interruptions, safety measures (including utility location services), or emergency conditions,
(4) advertising concerning employment opportunities with such public utility,
(5) advertising which promotes the use of energy efficient appliances, equipment or services, or
(6) any explanation or justification of existing or proposed rate schedules or billing practices or notifications of hearings thereon.
(e) "Bill insert" means any written or printed matter included and distributed with a utility bill, other than:
(1) the bill itself,
(2) the envelope or other container for the bill, and
(3) any written or printed matter explaining or otherwise directly related to the bill or to the account for which the bill is rendered.
(NCUC Docket No. M‑100, Sub 80, 10/14/80; 10/31/80.)