07 NCAC 04M .0503 PROCEDURES FOR TRANSFER OF RECORDS
(a) A custodian of public records shall initiate the transfer of records to the State Records Center. A representative of the custodian shall submit to the State Records Center supervisor a records transfer notice form including agency name, title of records, reference to schedule, quantity of records, their inclusive dates, and the name and telephone number of the representative submitting the request. The custodian shall request from the Division the records transfer notice form.
(b) For transfer of paper and other physical media:
(1) The State Records Center shall only accept records packed in State Records Center boxes. Upon request of the transferring custodian, the Division shall send the agency State Records Center boxes, labels, paper tape, and instructions on packing and labeling the boxes. The agency shall pay the Division for the materials and shipping.
(2) The custodian initiating the transfer shall arrange records in the boxes and label boxes in accordance with instructions. Boxes that do not comply with instructions shall be returned to the custodian for correction.
(3) Records that cannot be identified clearly and completely by the information on the label of the State Records Center box shall be accompanied by a typewritten index or box list prepared by the custodian initiating the transfer.
(4) Records transferred from within 10 miles of Capitol Square, Raleigh, shall be shipped by arrangement with the State Records Center staff. Records transferred from beyond 10 miles of Capitol Square, Raleigh, shall be shipped by the custodian concerned and at the custodian's expense.
(c) For transfer of electronic public records:
(1) Transfers of databases shall be accompanied by index information required in G.S. 132-6.1.
(2) The custodian shall scan records and find them to be free of viruses. The State Records Center shall not accept any electronic public records that contain viruses.
(3) The custodian shall generate a hash algorithm for each file being transferred. The custodian shall include the hash algorithm as part of the transfer.
(4) The custodian shall include any metadata generated at the time of file creation and any subsequent metadata created during the use of the file in the records transfer.
(5) Upon receipt of the transfer of electronic records, the State Records Center shall verify that the electronic records transferred were complete and unaltered by reviewing the hash algorithm and using antivirus software prior to accepting them for storage by the Division of Archives and Records.
History Note: Authority G.S. 121-4(2); 121-5(d); 132-2; 132-6.1; 143B-62(2)b;
Eff. February 1, 1985;
Amended Eff. June 1, 2014; April 1, 2001; June 1, 1989;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. July 26, 2015.