07 NCAC 04R .0803 CURATION OF ARCHAEOLOGICAL COLLECTIONS
(a) All requests to store archaeological, archival, and photographic collections at OSA curation facilities shall be submitted in writing to the State Archaeologist. All requests shall include:
(1) a declaration or statement of ownership of the collection;
(2) the name, address, phone number, and email address of the person or agency submitting the collection;
(3) the provenience information for the collection;
(4) the storage size of the collection in cubic feet or by archival boxes measuring 12 x 15 x 10 inches or 6 x 15 x 10 inches; and
(5) the number of items to be stored.
Requests shall be submitted to State Archaeologist, North Carolina Office State Archaeology, 4619 Mail Service Center, Raleigh NC 27699.
(b) Decisions on storage requests shall be provided in writing by the State Archaeologist, in consultation with the Director of the Office of Archives and History, North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources, based on the following factors:
(1) confirmation of the information submitted in the request under Paragraph (a) of this Rule;
(2) the condition of the materials contained in the collection, such as fragility, rarity, or other conservation needs; and
(3) the availability of storage space.
(c) Fees may be charged for curation and conservation services in the amount of two hundred dollars ($200.00) per cubic foot of materials.
History Note: Authority G.S. 70-11; 121-4(8),(9),(13),(14); 121-4(14); 121-8(b),(c),(f); 143B-62;
Eff. February 1, 1985;
Amended Eff. April 1, 2001; June 1, 1989;
Readopted Eff. June 1, 2017.