10A NCAC 09 .1707 BUILDING REQUIREMENTS
The applicant shall ensure that the family child care home complies with the following requirements:
(1) all children are kept on the ground level with an exit at grade;
(2) all homes are equipped with an electrically operated (with a battery backup) smoke detector, or one electrically operated and one battery operated smoke detector located next to each other;
(3) all homes are provided with at least one five pound 2-A: 10-B: C type extinguisher for every 2,500 square feet of floor area;
(4) heating appliances shall be installed and maintained according to the NC Building Code;
(5) all indoor areas used by children are heated when the temperature is below 65 degrees and ventilated when the temperature is above 85 degrees;
(6) pipes or radiators that are hot enough to be capable of burning children and are accessible to the children are covered or insulated; and
(7) children are cared for in space designated as the caregiving area on a floor plan provided by the operator to the Division as specified in 10A NCAC 09 .1709. Changes to the designated caregiving space shall be submitted to the Division 30 days prior to the new space being used by children. For family child care homes licensed prior to October 1, 2017, the floor plan showing designated caregiving space shall be submitted to the Division by November 30, 2017 or the next annual inspection, whichever is sooner. For family child care homes licensed after October 1, 2017, the floor plan showing designated caregiving space shall be submitted to the Division prior to licensure.
History Note: Authority G.S. 110-85; 110-86(3); 110-91; 143B-168.3;
Eff. October 1, 2017.