10A NCAC 13D .2303 NURSE STAFFING REQUIREMENTS
(a) A facility shall provide licensed nursing staff sufficient to accomplish the following:
(1) patient needs assessment;
(2) patient care planning; and
(3) supervisory functions in accordance with the levels of patient care advertised or offered by the facility.
(b) A facility must have sufficient nursing staff to provide nursing and related services to attain or maintain the physical, mental, and psychosocial well-being of each patient, as determined by patient assessments and individual plans of care.
(c) A multi-storied facility shall have at least one nurse aide on duty on each patient care floor at all times.
(d) Except for designated units with higher staffing requirements noted elsewhere in this Subchapter, daily direct patient care nursing staff, licensed and unlicensed, shall include:
(1) at least one licensed nurse on duty for direct patient care at all times; and
(2) a registered nurse for at least eight consecutive hours a day, seven days a week. This coverage may be spread over more than one shift if such a need exists. The director of nursing may be counted as meeting the requirements for both the director of nursing and patient staffing for facilities with a total census of 60 nursing beds or less.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-104; 131E-114.1;
Eff. January 1, 1996;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2013;
Readopted Eff. July 1, 2016.