10A NCAC 13K .1109 RESIDENT CARE AREAS
(a) Resident rooms shall meet the following requirements:
(1) There shall be private or semiprivate rooms;
(2) Infants and small children shall not be assigned to a room with an adult resident unless requested by residents and families;
(3) Each resident room shall contain at least a bed, a mattress protected by waterproof material, mattress pad, pillow, and a chair;
(4) Each resident room shall have a minimum of 48 cubic feet of closet space or wardrobe for clothing and personal belongings that provides security and privacy for each resident. Each resident room shall be equipped with a towel rack for each individual;
(5) Each resident bedroom shall:
(A) be located at or above grade level;
(B) have provisions to ensure visual privacy for treatment or visiting;
(6) Artificial lighting shall be provided sufficient for treatment and non‑treatment needs, 50 foot candles for treatment, 35 foot candles for non‑treatment areas; and
(7) A room where access is through a bathroom, kitchen or another bedroom will not be approved for a resident's bedroom.
(b) Bathrooms shall meet the following requirements:
(1) Bathroom facilities shall be conveniently accessible to resident rooms. One bathroom may serve up to four residents and staff. Minimum size of any bathroom shall be 18 square feet. The door shall be at least 32 inches wide.
(2) The bathroom shall be furnished with the following:
(A) toilet with grab bars;
(B) lavatory with four inch wrist blade controls;
(D) soap, paper towel dispensers, and waste paper receptacle with a removable impervious liner;
(E) water closet; and
(F) tub or shower.
(c) Space shall be provided for:
(1) charting, storage of supplies and personal effects of staff;
(2) the storage of resident care equipment;
(3) housekeeping equipment and cleaning supplies;
(4) storage of test reagents and disinfectants distinct from medication;
(5) locked medication storage and preparation; and
(6) drugs requiring refrigeration. They may be stored in a separate locked box in the refrigerator or in a lockable drug‑only refrigerator, capable of maintaining a temperature range of 36 degrees F (2 degrees C) to 46 degrees F (8 degrees C). The storage and accountability of controlled substances shall be in accordance with the North Carolina Controlled Substances Act, Article 5 of Chapter 90 of the General Statutes.
(d) Kitchen and dining areas shall have:
(1) a refrigerator;
(2) a cooking unit ventilated to the outside;
(3) a 42 inch minimum double‑compartment sink and domestic dishwashing machine capable of sanitizing dishes with 160 degrees F. water;
(4) dining space of 20 square feet per resident; and
(5) storage space for non‑perishables.
(e) Other areas shall include:
(1) a minimum of 150 square feet exclusive of corridor traffic for recreational and social activities;
(2) an audible and accessible call system furnished in each resident's room and bathroom; and
(3) heating and air cooling equipment to maintain a comfort range between 68 degrees and 80 degrees Fahrenheit.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E‑202;
Eff. June 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. February 1, 1995.