10A NCAC 13P .0506 PRACTICE SETTINGS FOR EMS PERSONNEL
(a) Credentialed EMS Personnel may function in the following practice settings in accordance with the protocols approved by the OEMS and by the Medical Director of the EMS System or Specialty Care Transport Program with which they are affiliated:
(1) at the location of a physiological or psychological illness or injury;
(2) at public or community health facilities in conjunction with public and community health initiatives;
(3) in hospitals and clinics;
(4) in residences, facilities, or other locations as part of wellness or injury prevention initiatives within the community and the public health system;
(5) at mass gatherings or special events; and
(6) community paramedicine programs.
(b) Individuals functioning in an alternative practice setting as defined in Rule .0102 of this Subchapter consistent with the areas identified in Subparagraphs (a)(1) through (a)(5) of this Rule that are not affiliated with an EMS System shall:
(1) be under the medical oversight of a physician licensed by the North Carolina Medical Board that is associated with the practice setting where the individual will function; and
(2) be restricted to performing within the scope of practice as defined by the North Carolina Medical Board pursuant to G.S. 143-514 for the individual's level of EMS credential.
(c) Individuals holding a valid EMR or EMT credential that are not affiliated with an approved first responder program or EMS agency and that do not administer medications or utilize advanced airway devices are approved to function as a member of an industrial or corporate first aid safety team without medical oversight or EMS System affiliation.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-508(d)(7);
Temporary Adoption Eff. January 1, 2002;
Eff. April 1, 2003;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2004;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. February 2, 2016;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2018; January 1, 2017.