SECTION .1700 - criteria and standards for open-heart surgery services and heart-lung bypass machines
10A NCAC 14C .1701 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions apply to all rules in this Section:
(1) "Approved heart-lung bypass machine" means a heart-lung bypass machine that was not operational prior to the beginning of the review period.
(2) "Capacity" of a heart-lung bypass machine means 400 adult-equivalent open heart surgical procedures per year. One open heart surgical procedure on persons age 14 and under is valued at two adult open heart surgical procedures. For purposes of determining capacity, one open heart surgical procedure is defined to be one visit or trip by a patient to an operating room for an open heart operation.
(3) "Cardiac Surgical Intensive Care Unit" means an intensive care unit as defined in 10A NCAC 14C .1201(2) and that is for exclusive use by post-surgical open heart patients.
(4) "Existing heart-lung bypass machine" means a heart-lung bypass machine in operation prior to the beginning of the review period.
(5) "Heart-lung bypass machine" has the same meaning as defined in G.S. 131E-176(10a).
(6) "Open heart surgery services" has the same meaning as defined in G.S. 131E-176(18b).
(7) "Open heart surgical procedures" means specialized surgical procedures that:
(a) utilize a heart-lung bypass machine (the "pump"); and
(b) are designed to correct congenital or acquired cardiac and coronary disease by opening the chest for surgery on the heart muscle, valves, arteries, or other parts of the heart.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-177(1); 131E-183;
Eff. January 1, 1987;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1989;
Temporary Amendment Eff. September 1, 1993 for a period of 180 days or until the permanent rule becomes effective, whichever is sooner;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1996; January 4, 1994;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 1999;
Temporary Eff. January 1, 1999 Expired on October 12, 1999;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2000 and shall expire on the date on which the permanent amendment to this Rule, approved by the Rules Review Commission on November 17, 1999, becomes effective;
Amended Eff. July 1, 2000;
Temporary Amendment Eff. March 1, 2010;
Amended Eff. January 1, 2013; November 1, 2010.