section .2200 – criteria and standards for end-stage renal disease services
10A NCAC 14C .2201 DEFINITIONS
The definitions in this Rule will apply to all rules in this Section:
(1) "End stage renal disease (ESRD) services" means those dialysis or transplantation services necessary for the treatment of patients with end stage renal disease provided by transplantation centers, dialysis centers or dialysis facilities.
(2) "Renal transplantation center" means a hospital unit which furnishes directly rental transplantation and other medical and surgical specialty services required for transplant candidates or patients.
(3) "Renal dialysis center" is a hospital unit which furnishes the full spectrum of diagnostic, therapeutic, and rehabilitative services.
(4) "Renal dialysis facility" is a unit, usually freestanding, which furnishes dialysis service to ESRD patients.
(5) "Dialysis" means the artificially aided process of transferring body wastes from a person's blood to a dialysis fluid to permit discharge of the wastes from the body.
(6) "Hemodialysis" means the form of dialysis in which the blood is circulated outside the body through an apparatus which permits transfer of waste through synthetic membranes.
(7) "Peritoneal dialysis" means the form of dialysis in which a dialysis fluid is introduced into the person's peritoneal cavity and is subsequently withdrawn.
(8) "Maintenance dialysis" is the term used to describe routine repetitive dialysis treatments necessary to sustain life of patients with ESRD.
(9) "Self‑care dialysis or home dialysis training" means the systematic training of patients and their helpers in the techniques of self‑care dialysis.
(10) "Self‑care dialysis" means the self administration of maintenance dialysis treatments in ESRD facility or elsewhere and may be assisted by an aide who is either a family member or a non‑family member assistant.
(11) "Dialysis station" means a unit in an ESRD facility equipped with the apparatus for performing hemodialysis or peritoneal dialysis on a single patient. Stations may designated for maintenance dialysis, self‑care dialysis, self‑care training, or isolation.
(12) "Isolation station" means a dialysis station located apart from other maintenance dialysis stations to serve patients who either have or are suspected to have an infectious disease, i.e., hepatitis.
(13) "Shift" means the scheduled time when a group of patients are provided their dialysis treatment.
(14) "Transplantation" means a surgical procedure in which a functioning kidney is removed from a donor and implanted in the patient with ESRD.
(15) "Organ procurement" means the process of acquiring kidneys for transplantation from potential donors.
(16) "Histocompatability testing" means laboratory testing procedures which determine compatability between a potential donor organ and a potential organ transplant recipient.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E‑177(1); 131E-183(b);
Eff. September 1, 1980;
Amended Eff. November 1, 1989; November 1, 1983.