section .2300 – criteria and standards for computed tomography equipment
10A NCAC 14C .2301 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply to all rules in this Section:
(1) "Approved computed tomography (CT) scanner" means a CT scanner which was not operational prior to the beginning of the review period but which had been issued a certificate of need.
(2) "Computed tomography" means a technique whereby a sharply collimated X‑ray beam is passed through the human body from a source which rotates around the body in a specific arc. As the beam passes through the body from its perimeter, its intensity is reduced. The transmitted intensity of the beam varies in accordance with the density of the tissue it passes through and is measured by sensitive detectors and, from this information, two‑dimensional cross‑sectional pictures or other images may be generated. A computer is used to generate the image from the measurements of X‑ray beam intensity. Tissue images can be done with or without contrast agents. Computed tomography services are rendered by CT scanners.
(3) "Computed tomography (CT) scanner" means an imaging machine which combines the information generated by a scanning X‑ray source and detector system with a computer to reconstruct a cross‑sectional image of the full body, including the head.
(4) "Computed tomography (CT) service area" means a geographical area defined by the applicant from which the applicant projects to serve patients.
(5) "CT scan" means one discrete image of a patient produced by a CT scanner.
(6) "Existing CT scanner" means a computed tomography scanner in operation prior to the beginning of the review period.
(7) "Fixed CT scanner" means a CT scanner that is used at only one location or campus.
(8) "HECT unit" means a unit that is equivalent to one CT scan which is derived by applying a weighted conversion factor to a CT scan in accordance with the Head Equivalent Computed Tomography studies formula developed by the National Electric Manufacturers, based on the "Leonard Methodology".
(9) "Mobile CT scanner" means a CT scanner and transporting equipment which is moved to provide services at two or more host facilities.
(10) "Related entity" means the parent company of the applicant, a subsidiary company of the applicant (i.e., the applicant owns 50 percent or more of another company), a joint venture in which the applicant is a member, or a company that shares common ownership with the applicant (i.e., the applicant and another company are owned by some of the same persons).
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E‑177(1); 131E‑183(b);
Temporary Adoption Eff. September 1, 1993 for a period of 180 days or until the permanent rule becomes effective, whichever is sooner;
Eff. February 1, 1994;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2008.