section .3700 - CRITERIA AND STANDARDS FOR POSITRON EMISSION TOMOGRAPHY SCANNER
10A NCAC 14C .3701 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply to all rules in this Section:
(1) "Approved positron emission tomography (PET) scanner" means a PET scanner which was not operational prior to the beginning of the review period but which had been issued a certificate of need.
(2) "Cyclotron" means an apparatus for accelerating protons or neutrons to high energies by means of a constant magnet and an oscillating electric field.
(3) "Dedicated PET Scanner" means PET Scanners as defined in the applicable State Medical Facilities Plan.
(4) "Existing PET scanner" means a PET scanner in operation prior to the beginning of the review period.
(5) "Mobile PET Scanner" means a PET scanner and transporting equipment that is moved, at least weekly, to provide services at two or more host facilities.
(6) "PET procedure" means a single discrete study of one patient involving one or more PET scans.
(7) "PET scan" means an image-scanning sequence derived from a single administration of a PET radiopharmaceutical, equated with a single injection of the tracer. One or more PET scans comprise a PET procedure.
(8) "PET scanner service area" means the PET Scanner Service Area as defined in the applicable State Medical Facilities Plan.
(9) "Positron emission tomographic scanner" (PET) is defined in G.S. 131E-176(19a).
(10) "Radioisotope" means a radiochemical which directly traces biological processes when introduced into the body.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-177(1); 131E-183(b);
Temporary Adoption Eff. September 1, 1993 for a period of 180 days or until the permanent rule becomes effective, whichever is sooner;
Eff. January 4, 1994;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2001;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2002;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002;
Temporary Amendment effective January 1, 2002 amends and replaces the permanent rule effective August 1, 2002;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2003;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2004; April 1, 2003.