SUBCHAPTER 14E - CERTIFICATIONS OF CLINICS FOR ABORTION
SECTION .0100 - CERTIFICATION PROCEDURE
10A NCAC 14E .0101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions will apply throughout this Subchapter:
(1) "Abortion" means the termination of a pregnancy as defined in G.S. 90-21.81(1).
(2) "Clinic" means a freestanding facility (a facility neither physically attached nor operated by a licensed hospital) for the performance of abortions completed during the first 20 weeks of pregnancy.
(3) "Complication" includes but is not limited to hemorrhage, infection, uterine perforation, cervical laceration, or retained products of conception.
(4) "Division" means the Division of Health Service Regulation of the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
(5) "Gestational age" means the length of pregnancy as indicated by the date of the first day of the last normal monthly menstrual period, if known, or as determined by ultrasound.
(6) "Governing authority" means the individual, agency, group, or corporation appointed, elected or otherwise designated, in which the ultimate responsibility and authority for the conduct of the abortion clinic is vested pursuant to Rule .0302 of this Subchapter.
(7) "Health Screening" means an evaluation of an employee or contractual employee, including tuberculosis testing, to identify any underlying conditions that may affect the person's ability to work in the clinic.
(8) "New clinic" means one that is not certified as an abortion clinic by the Division as of July 1, 2014, and has not been certified within the previous six months of the application for certification.
(9) "Qualified Physician" means a licensed physician who advises, procures, or causes a miscarriage or abortion as defined in G.S. 14-45.1(g).
(10) "Registered Nurse" means a person who holds a valid license issued by the North Carolina Board of Nursing to practice professional nursing in accordance with the Nursing Practice Act, G.S. 90, Article 9A.
History Note: Authority G.S. 14‑45.1(a); 14-45.1(g); 143B-10; S.L. 2013-366, s. 4(c);
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. December 19, 1977;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2015; July 1, 1994; December 1, 1989; June 30, 1980.