SECTION .1100 – GENERAL INFORMATION: DEFINITIONS
10A NCAC 14F .1101 DEFINITIONS
The following definitions shall apply throughout this Subchapter:
(1) "ACLS-trained" means training that is current in Advanced Cardiac Life Support, by the American Heart Association and who has appropriate licensure to administer advanced cardiac life support.
(2) "ACSM" means the American College of Sports Medicine.
(3) "Article" means Article 8 of G.S. 131E.
(4) "Cardiac Rehabilitation Program" has the same meaning as the definition in the Article.
(5) "Certification" has the same meaning as the definition in the Article.
(6) "DVRS" means the Division of Vocational Rehabilitation Services, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
(7) "Department" means the North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
(8) "Division" means the Division of Health Service Regulation, North Carolina Department of Health and Human Services.
(9) "ECG" means electrocardiogram.
(10) "Graded exercise test" (GXT) means a multistage test that determines a person's physiological response to different intensities of exercise or the person's peak aerobic capacity.
(11) "Maximal oxygen consumption" means the highest rate of oxygen transport and oxygen use that can be achieved at a person's maximal physical exertion, or functional capacity. This is usually expressed in METs.
(12) "MET" means "metabolic equivalent," a measure of functional capacity, or maximal oxygen consumption. One MET represents the approximate rate of oxygen consumption by a seated individual at rest: approximately 3.5 ml/kg/min. METs during exercise are determined by dividing metabolic rate during exercise by the metabolic rate at rest.
(13) "Nurse Practitioner" means a currently licensed registered nurse approved by the NC Board of Nursing and NC Medical Board to practice medicine as a nurse practitioner under the supervision of a physician licensed by the Board.
(14) "Owner" means the legal owner of the certified cardiac rehabilitation program.
(15) "Physician" means an individual who is licensed according to G.S. 90, Article 1, by the NC Medical Board to practice medicine.
(16) "Physician Assistant" means an individual who is licensed and registered according to G.S. 90, Article 1, by the NC Medical Board to practice medicine under the supervision of a physician licensed by the Board.
(17) "Premises" means "site."
(18) "Program" means "Cardiac Rehabilitation Program."
(19) "Risk stratification model" means a method of categorizing patients according to their risk of acute cardiovascular complications during exercise as well as their overall prognosis. Risk status is related primarily to the type and severity of cardiovascular disease. This rating takes into account how well the heart pumps, the presence of heart pain symptoms and/or changes in the electrocardiogram during exercise. Guidelines concerning medical supervision of patients in cardiac rehabilitation programs which are based on risk stratification models are provided by: the American College of Cardiology, the American College of Physicians, the American Association of Cardiovascular and Pulmonary Rehabilitation, the American Heart Association, and the North Carolina Cardiopulmonary Rehabilitation Association.
(20) "Simple spirometry" means an analysis of air flow which provides information as to the degree and severity of airway obstruction, and serves as an index of dynamic lung function. It must include, at a minimum, Forced Vital Capacity and Forced Expiratory Volume in 1 second.
(21) "Site" means the facility in which the cardiac rehabilitation program is held.
(22) "Supervising physician" means a physician who is on-site during the operation of the cardiac rehabilitation program.
(23) "Symptom-limited heart rate reserve" means the difference between the symptom-limited maximal heart rate and the resting heart rate.
(24) "Vocational Questionnaire" means the document used for vocational assessment.
(25) "Vocational Rehabilitation Counselor" means an individual who provides vocational rehabilitation counseling services.
History Note: Authority G.S. 131E-169;
Eff. July 1, 2000;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. December 6, 2016.