10A NCAC 15 .0362 DECAY-IN-STORAGE
(a) A licensee may hold radioactive material with a physical half-life of less than 275 days for decay-in-storage before disposal in ordinary trash and is exempt from the requirements of Rule .1628 of this Chapter if the licensee:
(1) holds radioactive material for decay a minimum of 10 half-lives;
(2) monitors radioactive material at the container surface before disposal as ordinary trash and determines that its radioactivity cannot be distinguished from the background radiation level with a radiation detection survey meter capable of detecting a dose rate of 0.1 millirem (1 microsievert) per hour and with no interposed shielding; and
(3) removes or obliterates all radiation labels.
(b) A licensee shall retain a record of each disposal permitted under Paragraph (a) of this Rule for three years. The record shall include:
(1) the date of the disposal;
(2) the date the radioactive material was placed in storage;
(3) the radionuclides disposed;
(4) the survey instrument used;
(5) the background dose rate used; and
(6) the dose rate measured at the surface of each waste container.
History Note: Authority G.S. 104E-7(a)(2); 104E-10(b); 104E-12;
Eff. April 1, 1999;
Amended Eff. October 1, 2013;
Transferred and Recodified from 15A NCAC 11 .0362 Eff. February 1, 2015.