10a ncac 27e .0105 PROTECTIVE DEVICES
(a) Whenever a protective device is utilized for a client, the governing body shall develop and implement policy to ensure that:
(1) the necessity for the protective device has been assessed and the device is applied by a facility employee who has been trained and has demonstrated competence in the utilization of protective devices;
(2) the use of positive and less restrictive alternatives have been reviewed and documented and the protective device selected is the appropriate measure;
(3) the client is frequently observed and provided opportunities for toileting, exercise, etc. as needed. When a protective device limits the client's freedom of movement, the client shall be observed at least every hour. Whenever the client is restrained and subject to injury by another client, a facility employee shall remain present with the client continuously. Observations and interventions shall be documented in the client record;
(4) protective devices are cleaned at regular intervals; and
(5) for facilities operated by or under contract with an area program, the utilization of protective devices in the treatment/habilitation plan shall be subject to review by the Client Rights Committee, as required in 10A NCAC 27G .0504. Copies of this Rule and other pertinent rules are published as Division publication RULES FOR MENTAL HEALTH, DEVELOPMENTAL DISABILITIES AND SUBSTANCE ABUSE SERVICES, APSM 30-1,and may be purchased at a cost of five dollars and seventy-five cents ($5.75) per copy.
(b) The use of any protective device for the purpose or with the intent of controlling unacceptable behavior shall comply with the requirements of Rule .0104 of this Section.
History Note: Authority G.S. 122C‑51; 122C‑53; 122C‑60; 143B‑147;
Eff. February 1, 1991;
Amended Eff. January 4, 1993; January 1, 1992;
Temporary Amendment Eff. January 1, 2001;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. March 26, 2017.