10A NCAC 29c .0802 MOBILE HOME PARK DESIGN REQUIREMENTS
The mobile home park plan of the entire site, drawn to scale, shall show all existing conditions, the proposed site development and all the following requirements:
(1) Size of Mobile Home Park. All mobile home parks shall be developed on a parcel of land not less than three acres in size and shall contain no more than eight mobile home plots per gross acre of land.
(2) Size of Mobile Home Plot. The mobile home park plan shall show a plot for the accommodation of each mobile home, which plot shall be at least 40 feet wide and at least 70 feet long, but shall contain a minimum of 2,800 square feet in area.
(3) Arrangement of Mobile Homes. Mobile homes shall be separated one from the other by at least 25 feet side to side, 15 feet side to rear and 10 feet back to back; shall be no closer than 25 feet to any interior drive; and shall be no closer than 50 feet to any exterior street or property line of the mobile home park.
(4) Drainage. The park shall be located on a well drained and properly graded site.
(5) Interior Drives. No mobile home shall have direct access to an interior drive of no less than 20 feet in width, which shall have unobstructed access to a public street or highway. All interior drives shall be hard surfaced and continuous and shall be adequately maintained by the owner.
(6) Off‑drive Parking. Each mobile home plot shall be provided with at least one off‑drive parking space. Such space shall be no farther away than 50 feet from the plot it serves. In addition there shall be provided one off‑drive parking space for each three mobile home spaces in the mobile home park. Each off‑drive parking space shall be at least nine feet wide and at least 20 feet long and shall be paved. Off‑drive parking may be provided in conjunction with the interior drive which shall be at least 36 feet wide and include concrete gutter.
(7) Recreation Space. A playground or playgrounds shall be provided by the owner at a ratio of 200 square feet for each mobile home plot. The length of such playgrounds shall be no greater than twice the width. Such open spaces shall be maintained by the owner and shall be exclusive of area required for mobile home plots and for interior drives, parking, and utility spaces. No playground shall contain less than 4,000 square feet.
(8) Special Conditions and Safeguards. In recommending the issuance of any zoning and development permit for a mobile home park the committee may attach special conditions and safeguards to protect both the occupants of the parcel and the occupants of surrounding property in regard to such matters as noise, lights, and dust. Where required to serve these ends, walls, walks, fences, plantings, surfacing or other natural or artificial means for protection may be required as a part of such special conditions on which issuance of the zoning and development permit is based. Failure to meet such conditions shall be grounds for revocation of the zoning and development permit.
(9) Exceptions to Paragraphs (2) and (3). When an arrangement other than that specified by Paragraphs (2) and (3) of this Rule can be shown to provide more useful open space without infringing upon the privacy of mobile home dwellers or neighboring property owners or when screening devices can be shown to compensate for any slight reductions in space between mobile homes or space between mobile homes and another building or property, the committee may recommend approval of a special use permit, if in its opinion, the mobile home park plan submitted is equal to or better than an arrangement which would conform to Paragraphs (2) and (3) of this Rule. No minimum dimension shall be reduced by more than 20 percent. For each square foot of land gained within a mobile home park, through the reduction of a plot size below the minimum requirements, equal amounts of land shall be retained as open space for park, recreation and related uses. This "open space" shall not be developed for any other means and shall be maintained by the developer for the life of the park.
History Note: Authority G.S. 122‑95; 143B‑10;
Eff. March 21, 1980.