section .0400 – economic need
10A ncac 63F .0401 BENEFITS
(a) The Division of Services for the Blind shall give consideration to all other benefits available to the consumer with a visual disability by way of pension, compensation, or insurance to meet, in whole or in part, the cost of any vocational rehabilitation services provided to the consumer except the following:
(1) assessment for determining eligibility and vocational rehabilitation needs;
(2) counseling and guidance, including information and support services to assist the applicant or consumer in exercising informed choice;
(3) referral and other services to secure needed services from other agencies if those services are not available;
(4) job-related services, including job search and placement assistance, job retention services, and follow-up services;
(5) rehabilitation technology, including telecommunications, sensory, and other technological aids; and
(6) post-employment services listed in Subparagraphs (1) through (5) of this Paragraph.
(b) When and to the extent that a consumer is eligible for such benefits, such benefits shall be utilized unless such a determination would interrupt or delay:
(1) the progress of the consumer toward achieving the employment outcome in the individualized plan for employment;
(2) an immediate job placement; or
(3) the provision of vocational rehabilitation services to any consumer who is determined to be at extreme medical risk, based on medical evidence provided by a medical professional.
(c) If benefits exist, but are not available at the time needed to achieve the consumer's rehabilitation outcome, the services shall be provided until those benefits become available. Such benefits include but need not be limited to:
(1) medicare, medicaid hospital and physician's services plans in relation to physical restoration services; and
(2) workmen's compensation, veterans' benefits, private insurance benefits, old age and survivors disability insurance benefits and unemployment compensation in relation to basic maintenance.
History Note: Authority G.S. 111‑28; 34 C.F.R. 361.5; 34 C.F.R. 361.53;
Eff. February 1, 1976;
Readopted Eff. November 16, 1977;
Amended Eff. January 1, 1996; April 1, 1990; February 1, 1982;
Temporary Amendment Eff. August 1, 2001;
Amended Eff. August 1, 2002;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. November 23, 2015.