10A NCAC 72 .0102 DEFINITIONS
Unless the context indicates some other meaning, the words and terms below have the following meanings:
(1) "Academic Year" means a period of time in which a student normally completes the equivalent of at least two semesters or three quarters of academic work.
(2) "Approved Institution" means one of the branches of the University of North Carolina or one of the North Carolina community colleges.
(3) "Case Management Services" are a set of services provided by an agency contracting with the North Carolina Division of Social Services (DSS) for participating students and their families which are designed to support the student's successful postsecondary education experience. Such services include:
(a) processing and accepting applications for the program;
(b) certifying each eligible student and the amount of the Eligible Student's Scholarship and communicating this information to the North Carolina State Education Assistance Authority to authorize release of funds;
(c) compiling accurate databases of resources in the students' academic communities that can help students succeed in school;
(d) providing or arranging for counseling regarding academic issues as well as other concerns that may affect the performance of the student;
(e) communicating with and advising students on academic issues;
(f) providing consistent, regular contact with students throughout their postsecondary experience;
(g) being available to students experiencing crisis;
(h) providing or arranging for emergency housing up to two weeks for students who have no safe place to live when school is out of session;
(i) if allowed by the student, being available to consult with student's families and staff of local Departments of Social Services regarding student's postsecondary experiences;
(j) monitoring grades and the individual's course of study, and evaluating progress toward goal achievement;
(k) maintaining records for each individual student regarding their academic progress and assistance provided; and
(l) providing quarterly program reports of case management services to the contract administrator at the Division of Social Services.
(4) "Cost of Attendance" Costs of attendance are defined by the Higher Education Act of 1965(20 U.S.C. 108711), which includes tuition, fees, room, board, supplies, transportation, and personal expenses. This amount is established by each institution. This grant is limited to cost of attendance less other grants or scholarships from federal, state, or other sources.
(5) "Education Training Voucher" (ETV) means the Federal scholarship program funded by the John Chafee Foster Care Independence Act 42 U.S.C. 677, which benefits young adults who were in the custody of the Department of Social Services at or after age 17 or were adopted from public foster care after the age of 12.
(6) "Eligible Student" means a student who:
(a) has completed the requirements for secondary education (high school diploma or GED) and has not yet achieved his or her 26th birthday;
(b) is pursuing an undergraduate degree, diploma, or certificate at an approved institution on at least a half-time basis;
(c) was in the custody of a North Carolina local Department of Social Services on his or her 18th birthday, or was adopted from the North Carolina foster care system on or after his or her 12th birthday;
(d) is making satisfactory progress toward completion of the course of undergraduate study as defined in Rule .0201 of this Chapter.
(7) "Fiscal Year" means each annual period which begins on July 1 in any calendar year and ends on June 30 the following calendar year.
(8) "Higher Education Act" means Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, as amended, 20 U.S.C. 1070, et seq.
(9) "Matriculated Status" means the student is recognized by the approved institution as a student in a defined program of study leading to an associate's degree, baccalaureate degree, diploma or certificate.
(10) "Pell Grant" means the needs based scholarship program administered by the federal government to benefit low income baccalaureate and postgraduate students.
(11) "Program" means the Postsecondary Educational Support Scholarship program (NC Reach) established by Section 10.34(a) of Session Law 2007-323.
(12) "Residence Manual" means the most current edition of A Manual to Assist the Public Higher Education Institutions of North Carolina in the Matter of Student Residence Classification for Tuition Purposes as adopted by the Board of Governors of the University of North Carolina.
(13) "Scholarship" means an award for education awarded to an eligible student under the program.
History Note: Authority S.L. 2007-323, s. 10.34;
Eff. June 1, 2008.