10A NCAC 97C .0104 DEFINITIONS
For the purpose of this Subchapter, the following definitions apply:
(1) "Act" means the Omnibus Budget Reconciliation Act of 1981, which is incorporated by reference, including subsequent amendments and editions, and available for free at https://www.congress.gov/bill/97th-congress/house-bill/3982, under which the Community Services Block Grant Program was established.
(2) "Community Action Agency (CAA)" means an agency designated and funded by the Community Services Administration in Federal Fiscal Year 1981 for the purpose of operating an anti‑poverty project and that was funded by the North Carolina Office of Economic Opportunity in fiscal year 1985 to administer a Community Services Block Grant ("CBSG") anti‑poverty project or any agency designated by the Governor or his or her designee and determined to be eligible by the Division of Social Services.
(3) "Local Administering Agency" means entities carrying out activities that are referenced in 42 U.S.C 9907(b)(1) which is incorporated by reference, including subsequent amendments and editions and are available for free at https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/PLAW-105publ285/pdf/PLAW-105publ285.pdf. Local Administering Agencies may include CAAs.
(4) "The Office of Community Services (OCS)" means the agency established in the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and is charged with the responsibility of administering CSBG.
(5) "Persons in poverty" means:
(a) For the purpose of the allocation of CSBG fund, persons in poverty is defined as the number of persons whose income is below the poverty threshold established by the U.S. Census Bureau. The number of persons in poverty will be based on the most recent Small Area Income Poverty Estimates produced for school districts, counties, and states and released electronically by the U.S. Census Bureau, and available at the time of allocation determination. The Small Area Income Poverty Estimates is incorporated by reference, including subsequent amendments and editions and available for free at www.census.gov.
(b) For the purpose of program eligibility, persons in poverty is defined as the persons who fall below the poverty guidelines updated periodically by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, which are incorporated by reference, including subsequent amendments and editions and available for free at www.hhs.gov and released by the Division for use.
(6) "Quarter" means each three months during the life of a grant agreement with a grant recipient.
(7) "State Plan" means the plan that sets forth how the State of North Carolina will use the funds allocated under CSBG.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143B-153(6);
Eff. December 1, 1983;
Temporary Amendment Eff. November 20, 1985, for a Period of 73 Days to Expire on February 1, 1986;
Amended Eff. March 1, 1989; February 1, 1986; June 1, 1985; October 1, 1984;
Readopted Eff. November 1, 2017.