11 NCAC 04 .0415 SAFE DRIVER INCENTIVE PLAN
The following are Department of Insurance rules regarding the Safe Driver Incentive Plan ("SDIP"):
(1) License revocation for refusal to submit to chemical tests shall not be considered conviction of a moving traffic violation.
(2) A conviction for driving the wrong way on a one‑way street is not a conviction for driving on the wrong side of the road.
(3) The revocation or suspension of a driver's license solely because of the accumulation of motor vehicle points shall not be considered a conviction.
(4) When new operators are added to an automobile policy, their SDIP points may be added to the policy at the same time coverage is extended to them.
(5) SDIP points for an operator whose license has been suspended or revoked may be added only at the date the operator again becomes eligible for license with the following exception: SDIP points may be charged at the inception date of the current policy if the operator has previously been convicted of a moving traffic violation while his license was suspended or revoked or if there is reliable evidence that the operator does, in fact, operate a motor vehicle.
(6) If an operator dies or permanently leaves an insured's household during the policy period, his SDIP points shall be removed at the time of his death or departure.
History Note: Authority G.S. 58-2-40; 58-36-65; 58-36-75;
Eff. December 15, 1979;
Amended Eff. February 1, 1993.