11 NCAC 08 .1107 EXTERIOR
(a) The home inspector shall inspect:
(1) Wall cladding, flashings, and trim;
(2) Entryway doors and a representative number of windows;
(3) Garage door operators;
(4) Decks, balconies, stoops, steps, areaways, porches and applicable railings;
(5) Eaves, soffits, and fascias;
(6) Driveways, patios, walkways, and retaining walls; and
(7) Vegetation, grading, and drainage with respect only to their effect on the condition of the building.
(b) The home inspector shall:
(1) Describe wall cladding materials;
(2) Operate all entryway doors;
(3) Operate garage doors manually or by using permanently installed controls for any garage door operator;
(4) Report whether or not any garage door operator will automatically reverse or stop when meeting reasonable resistance during closing; and
(5) Probe exterior wood components where deterioration is suspected.
(c) The home inspector is not required to inspect:
(1) Storm windows, storm doors, screening, shutters, awnings, and similar seasonal accessories;
(3) For the presence of safety glazing in doors and windows;
(4) Garage door operator remote control transmitters;
(5) Geological conditions;
(6) Soil conditions;
(7) Recreational facilities (including spas, saunas, steam baths, swimming pools, tennis courts, playground equipment, and other exercise, entertainment, or athletic facilities); except as otherwise provided in 11 NCAC 08 .1109(d)(5)(F);
(8) Detached buildings or structures; or
(9) For the presence or condition of buried fuel storage tanks.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-151.49;
Codifier determined that agency findings did not meet criteria for temporary rule Eff. October 15, 1996;
Temporary Adoption Eff. October 24, 1996;
Eff. July 1, 1998;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2007; April 1, 2005; July 1, 2000.