11 NCAC 08 .1111 HEATING
(a) The home inspector shall inspect permanently installed heating systems including:
(1) Heating equipment;
(2) Normal operating controls;
(3) Automatic safety controls;
(4) Chimneys, flues, and vents, where readily visible;
(5) Solid fuel heating devices;
(6) Heat distribution systems including fans, pumps, ducts and piping, with supports, insulation, air filters, registers, radiators, fan coil units, convectors; and
(7) The presence or absence of an installed heat source for each habitable space.
(b) The home inspector shall describe:
(1) Energy source; and
(2) Heating equipment and distribution type.
(c) The home inspector shall operate the systems using normal operating controls.
(d) The home inspector shall open readily openable access panels provided by the manufacturer or installer for routine homeowner maintenance.
(e) The home inspector is not required to:
(1) Operate heating systems when weather conditions or other circumstances may cause equipment damage;
(2) Operate automatic safety controls;
(3) Ignite or extinguish solid fuel fires;
(4) Ignite a pilot light; or
(A) The interior of flues;
(B) Fireplace insert flue connections;
(C) Heat exchangers;
(E) Electronic air filters;
(F) The uniformity or adequacy of heat supply to the various rooms; or
(G) Solar space heating equipment.
History Note: Authority G.S. 143-151.49;
Codifier determined that agency findings did not meet criteria for temporary rule Eff. October 15, 1996;
Temporary Adoption Eff. October 24, 1996;
Eff. July 1, 1998;
Amended Eff. February 1, 2007; April 1, 2005.