Section .1900 – domestic violence – prohibited acts
11 NCAC 12 .1901 DEFINITIONS
As used in this Section, the following terms have the meanings ascribed to them:
(1) "Abuse" means the occurrence of one or more of the following acts by a current or former family member, household member, intimate partner or caretaker:
(a) Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly or recklessly causing another person bodily injury, physical harm, severe emotional distress, psychological trauma, rape, sexual assault or involuntary sexual intercourse;
(b) Knowingly engaging in a course of conduct or repeatedly committing acts toward another person, including following the person or minor child, under circumstances that place the person or minor child in reasonable fear of bodily injury or physical harm;
(c) Subjecting another person to false imprisonment; or
(d) Attempting to cause or intentionally, knowingly, or recklessly causing damage to property so as to intimidate or attempt to control the behavior of another person.
(2) "Abuse-related medical condition" means a medical condition sustained by a subject of abuse that arises in whole or part out of an act or pattern of abuse.
(3) "Abuse status" means the fact or perception that a person is, has been, or may be a subject of abuse, irrespective of whether the person has sustained abuse-related medical conditions.
(4) "Health benefit plan" or "plan" means an accident and health insurance policy or certificate; a nonprofit hospital or medical service corporation contract; a health maintenance organization subscriber contract; a plan provided by a multiple employer welfare arrangement; a plan provided by a Professional Employer Organization; or a plan provided by another benefit arrangement, to the extent permitted by the Employee Retirement Income Security Act of 1974, as amended, or by any waiver of or other exception to that Act provided under federal law or regulation. "Health benefit plan" includes accident only, credit health, dental, vision, Medicare supplement or long-term care insurance, coverage issued as a supplement to liability insurance, short-term and catastrophic health insurance, coverage only for a specified disease or illness, hospital indemnity or other fixed indemnity insurance, disability income insurance, and a policy that pays on a cost-incurred basis. "Health benefit plan" does not mean the N.C. State Health Plan, workers' compensation insurance or any plan implemented or administered by the North Carolina or United States Department of Health and Human Services, or any successor agency, or its representatives.
(5) "Insurance professional" means an agent, broker, or adjuster as defined in G.S. 58-33-10 or a third party administrator as defined in G.S. 58-56-2.
(6) "Insurer" means an insurance company subject to Chapter 58 of the General Statutes, a service corporation organized under Article 65 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes, a health maintenance organization organized under Article 67 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes, a multiple employer welfare arrangement subject to Article 49 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes, the North Carolina Health Insurance Risk Pool subject to Part 6 of Article 50 of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes, and a Professional Employee Organization subject to Article 89A of Chapter 58 of the General Statutes.
(7) "Insured" means a party named on a health benefit plan as the person with legal rights to the benefits provided by the health benefit plan. For group plans, "insured" includes a person who is a beneficiary covered by a group health benefit plan.
(8) "Subject of abuse" means a person against whom an act of abuse has been directed; who has current or prior injuries, illnesses or disorders that resulted from abuse; who seeks, may have sought, or had reason to seek medical or psychological treatment for abuse; or protection, court-ordered protection or shelter from abuse.
History Note: Authority G.S. 58-2-40; 58-63-65;
Eff. April 1, 2010;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 1, 2018.