21 NCAC 19 .0406 USE OF GLOVES
(1) Wear a fresh pair of non-sterile, medical grade, latex, nitrile or vinyl disposal examination gloves:
(a) during the treatment of each client;
(b) when contact with blood or other potentially infectious materials, mucous membranes and non-intact skin could occur; and
(c) during the procedures of soaking, cleaning, rinsing, drying and packaging of forceps and other contaminated instruments.
(2) Refrain from using latex gloves if the client's health history assessment file indicates a sensitivity or allergic reaction to latex-based products.
(3) Decontaminate hands in accordance with the procedures in 21 NCAC 19 .0405 before putting on gloves and immediately after gloves are removed.
(4) In the event of an interrupted treatment session:
(a) remove and discard gloves;
(b) decontaminate hands before touching items or surfaces; and
(c) decontaminate hands before re-gloving with a fresh pair of gloves before resuming treatment.
(5) In the event of torn or perforated gloves:
(a) remove torn or perforated gloves immediately;
(b) decontaminate hands; and
(c) re-glove with fresh gloves.
(6) After each treatment:
(a) remove gloves;
(b) dispose in a receptacle located in the treatment room; and
(c) immediately decontaminate hands.
History Note: Authority G.S. 88A-16;
Eff. December 1, 2010;
Pursuant to G.S. 150B-21.3A, rule is necessary without substantive public interest Eff. May 1, 2018.